Wednesday, December 23, 2009

So, I started looking through the Twisted Nether Blog List.  About 50% of the blogs listed in there are either inactive or have posted less than 2x since July.  I have started blogging myself - just for fun, and to do a little bit of writing a few times a week (a creative outlet for me).  Looking for sites to refer to, to plagiarize from, led me to Twisted Nether.  Anyway, I seen to be finding fewer long-term blogs.

Part of this is just the nature of blogging, and the nature of a game with the longevity of WoW.  There are very few blogs that last 5 years.  People quit playing every day.  They also quit blogging every day.  However, there are new people playing the game everyday.  There must also be blogs like mine, that have started recently.

Anyway, has anybody else noticed this?  Has anybody found the good new voices that must be out there?

I also want to make clear that I, personally, think that the game is better than ever.  There there is a challenge for more people than ever.  That the high-end raiders have a smaller window to make their mark, the mid-level teams have a chance to grab some world-firsts, the lower-level raiders have access to progression content, that non-raiders have more to do in the game than ever!  I think the game is changing in wonderful ways.  I am not predicting the 'end of WoW'.  But I have noticed that most marriages don't last 5 years, so it is amazing that a MMORPG can last that long.  It is even MORE AMAZING that a game can thrive over that long of a time.  But, with a huge population, some folks leave - take extended breaks - get married and have kids - whatever - and that interferes with both gaming and blogging.

No comments: