Wednesday, December 23, 2009

AFK for the holidays

Most of the Guild are adults.  There are a few high schoolers, more college age folks, but most of the Guild consists of grownups.  Like me they have jobs, families and kids.  Most of the Guild has plans that prevent them from being around during the holidays.  They are shuffling between grandparents houses.  They are taking the kids to see Santa.

I have my kids at home this week - they are on break from school (they are 5 and 7).  They can watch TV for an hour in the morning while I get a random dungeon done on one of my healers.  Then during 'rest time' I can usually hammer out the random daily on my warrior and the other healer.

So far, my raid time has not been altered.  However, we're flying to visit the grandparents on Christmas day.  For the eight days following that I will be relying on the pirated wireless connection from my parents neighbors.  I also will have the disapproving glares of my parents as I 'waste my time' playing (while they watch TV). 

Overall, our raid schedule is on pause until after new years.  The huge advantage of being in a mature guild, is that everybody knows what is coming, and everybody knows that raiding takes a back seat this week.  Real life > WoW.  That is most obvious at the holidays.  Nevertheless, I love that my real life is still more important than the game.  I love that when I play, my guildies feel the same.  Thank God.

No comments: