Monday, December 7, 2009

Follow me! I know the way . . .

Well, I am lucky enough to be friends with a few of the really solid raiding guilds on my server.  When the content stops being progression, these guilds sometimes need extra heals or an off-tank, or one of the classes I seem to be able to bring.  There are a few great benefits when I get to pug a raid with a raiding guild:
- The tricks that they use to stay efficient can be really helpful
- Boss strats, bugs are easier to explore in game than in videos
- I tend to meet folks who have a lot of skill, and may have alts that need gear from raids below their main progression runs . . . my friends list is usually pretty solid
- I am reminded why I don't want to be in a leading edge progression guild.

When I get to just follow along, life is easy.  The guys who lead the raids in realm-first-competitive guilds need to be not as nice as I want to be.  They HAVE to do it, basically.  To produce results, they need to drive their teams hard, and while most raiders on teams like this do really well without too much guidance, even in these guilds, discipline is very important and needs constant attention.

I would rather be a social director, and allow raiding to happen vigorously, but without pressure.  I think I can keep people pretty happy about the social aspect of the guild.  I think I can keep people informed, connected and give them opportunities to explore raiding - even progression raiding.  To drive any one aspect of the guild toward the hardcore, well, that is something that I don't have the ability to do.  So, I'm glad that I have awesome friends who can open the window to that part of the game.

No comments: