Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Casual raiding guild blues

I am anticipating disaster.  This will be followed by resentment.  Then the exodus will occur.  It's the mmorpg casual guild Circle of Life.

When we have new content released, a lot of our guild members get back in the game.  They play much more and want to do all the new content right away.  MOST of these folks have not finished the old content, since they got bored with it.  They have not maxxed out their gear.  They have not tried the content on the PTR or followed it online.  Without thinking about it, they want to get carried through content.  Some of them have been grinding out their gear, pugging some raids, and getting better, but have not joined a team or formed a team of their own.

Our guild has over 200 people, on 450 characters.  Most of the gulidies are real people, with real lives, family, school, work, jail time to serve, etc.  They understand that if they can't attend our posted raid times, that they can try again with us next week, do other stuff or join a PuG.  I encourage people to find friends within the guild to play with regularly.  Make 5 man or 10 man teams.  Set up their own group within the guild.  Make it a community.  So far, we have 2 10 man teams.  So 20 people are accounted for.  There will be at least a dozen more people who feel, since I am guild leader, I should find a team for them.  I can't do that.  I am busy with playing the game myself.  Me and the other guild officers have taken a lot of time to work on our guild - decent forums, lots of encouragement, creating a safe, friendly place to play with lots of other people.  I can't make a team for everybody, then make sure everybody show up every time, and when they dont show up, find somebody to fill . . .I do that on MY team.

I don't mean to be dismissive, but everybody needs to play the game for themselves.  I would love for a few extra people to take the initiative of building a team.  I want everybody to have fun, but I can't make them do it.

No comments: